BBQ tastes better with "wine"! Just sayin'
BBQSomm is a live Zoom event with VanMag's sommelier of 2020, Robert Stelmachuk and your host Good Wine Gal, Barb Wild. Join Robert and me as he shares his secrets for the best wine pairings to accompany Vancouver’s favorite BBQ. It might be southern, it might be Chinese, Japanese or Korean but one thing for sure - it's going to be tasty.
A few years back, when visiting Napa City, I found myself noshing on pork ribs that had been smoked for 24 hours and sipping some of Napa's best red wines. The meat was compact along the bones, the flavours were not just coating the surface. This was smokey, meaty California star power perfection. The place was called the Bounty and it turns out they also have the California star power wine list too. Ya, that's right. Wine and BBQ. You've heard it said a lot of beer goes into making good wine - I grateful for that. Everyone needs a cleansing ale from time to time but for me, when it comes to BBQ - I'm wine - all in.
In declaring that you might be thinking reds only - and reds certainly can stand up to the power, flavour and complexity of BBQ. I wonder why I wouldn't saber and sip a beautiful bottle of champagne like "blanc de noir", or open that rich Rhone Valley White (a blend of Roussanne, Marsanne, Viognier). Why not ask the expert and see what he recommends? Keep reading.
Thanks very much for asking. Hi guys, it's Robert. Here are some of the wines that I love that you'll be able to pick up locally at a special price (I care about your wallet too). If you shop at Marquis Wine Cellars and use wine code "RobertWine101" and receive 10% off your entire wine order. Every little bit helps right? Here are my BBQSomm wine recommendations. It's audacious and I like it.
Aveleda Vinho Verde - Portugal $14.70 (will be ON SALE the week before the event for $10.34!!!)
- a rainbow flavoured lightning bolt. Essential Summer wine at this price! Yes, Vinho Verde with BBQ! Come find out why.
Cousino Macul 'Antiguas Reservas' Chardonnay - Chile $17.30
- This is a Tropical vacation on a dime. The exuberance of Carmen Miranda with a curvey set of hips. More Mae West than Kate Moss.
Cabriz 'Colheita Selecionada' - Dao, Portugal $21.65
- This wine is smarter than most of us. A complex wine that keeps on giving. Lets you see the world through a wide-angle lens.
Domaine de Dionysos 'La Devèze' Cotes du Rhone Rouge - France $24.26 (exclusive to Marquis Wines)
- A wine everyone needs that will help you live life out loud. It's the difference between 'testing' the waters and 'parting' them. A tantric massage for your soul.
Averill Creek 'Joue' Red - Okanagan Valley, BC $30.75
- A hippo wearing a tutu. Giddy, joyful, exuberant and playful. Power loaded with fruit, spice and positive affirmations. Literally Italian 'Ripasso' made in BC!
Aia Vecchia 'Lagone' - Tuscant, Italy $34.69
- Imagine buying Amazon shares at $1.00 before anyone knew what Amazon was. A 'Super Tuscan' going places. Full throttle intellect. One 'smooth criminal'.
BBQ Take Out Recommendations
If you have time to prepare ribs or chicken - awesome. If you don't here are a few places that are offering great BBQ for take out in and around Vancouver.
1. Whiskey Six has my number. Located on Renfrew & E Hastings this menu looks fab and I love that they are sourcing locally.
2. Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ is right up my alley. Two locations in Vancouver (Downtown and Broadway) Check out this menu available dine in or take out.
3. Kook Korean BBQ has all the ingredients you need. Dine in or take out.
4. Western Lake Peking Duck is on the menu for sure!
5. Memphis Blues - BBQ House is a Vancouver original is worthy.
Book your tickets for BBQSomm
Has any of this helped inspire you to join us? I hope so. Book your seat now. Follow the links to wine and food in the post or do your own research. There is not pressure to do any of this. Join us with or without the ingredients we recommend and get into the groove that we are dancing to with Robert.
Leave a Reply.
I'm Good Wine Gal.
I blog about "good wine" and how to find it!
Join me on my adventures of finding beautiful wine loving places, people and those special bottles we all get excited about.